Saturday, March 1, 2014

Creating the Road Less Taken

I am a ruthless pragmatist and have never found utility in developing a blog of my own until now. As a curriculum developer for a large school system, I have the task of moving a large number of schools and teachers into a Next Generation Science Standards (NGSS) based curriculum. For those you unfamiliar with them, I would encourage you to take a look at the standards. Now, just so we are all on the same page, that will be the last time I use the word standards. The NGSS are not traditional standards.  They are written as Performance Expectations (PE).  This means this means that rather spelling out exactly what students are supposed to know, they layout how students are supposed to demonstrate they understand a concept through an action otherwise known as a practice.  For example, in Kindergarten one of the PE's is stated as

Analyze data to determine if a design solution works as intended to change the speed or direction of an object with a push or a pull.

So, why the blog?  Well, I'm glad you asked.  I think there is an opportunity to share ideas and ideas are needed.  Who am I looking for?  Well for right now, I just want to gather input from elementary teachers, principals, and elementary students.  As I go along, I will be updating whatever audience develops on my progress to gather feedback and to hopefully share some best management practices.  Who am I not looking for?  I am not looking for people to want to rant and rave about the PE's or my any typos I make herein.  I have no time for it.  

With all that said,  let me know if you are out there and interested in the NGSS.

6 comments:

  1. Hi Eric! I'm a PK - 4 science teacher & I am very interested in the NGSS! I spent my entire summer writing lesson plans and started NGSS right away in September. So glad I found your blog through the NSTA listserv, I'll be following it!!
    Sue
    Science for Kids Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to have you aboard! We are getting ready to write K-2 this summer. I will be sure to share out lesson and assessment ideas. What did you use for preK? Maryland has not released preK standards yet, but has indicated that they will in the next year.

      Delete
    2. I wrote my own PK curriculum! (I am at a private school).
      Sue
      Science for Kids Blog

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would be glad to help out also. I have been working with the "NxGen" Standards in WV. I teach a multi-subject 5th grade class in north central WV.

    ReplyDelete